Monday, January 05, 2009

Chemo #5

I can't believe we are to this point already. Thursday will be my 5th Chemo. I have been feeling really good the last few days, and surprised to have some energy and to have so many "good" days! I really appreciate the continued support via email, text messages, visits, etc. Everything my family, neighbors and friends send really boost my spirits and I am finding that lifting spirits is a huge part of healing. This is such a long process that it's hard for people to understand how long it takes to be clear of it and I appreciate the way you have all hung in there with me because it won't be complete until OCTOBER, can you believe that? We will get there no matter what.
Some neighbors who have gone through cancer treatments with their daughter (among many other trials) brought us this quote and I thought it was good for anyone in any difficult situation: "No pain that we suffer, no trial that we endure is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude, and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure especially when we endure it patiently, builds our characters, purifies our hearts, and expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God, and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation that we gain the education that we came here to acquire." - Orson Whitney
I think this is a great reminder why we go through all the trials of life large or small and the people you will meet as a result. I have this quote on my night stand so every day I can remember why I am doing all this hard stuff and those who are going through it with me. None of us can choose our trials but these words make it easier to keep focused on each task and the end goal.
My kids are doing fairly well, each day that I feel good is a day they can forget for a minute. It's sobering to hear your child pray that your cancer will go away, "cancer" is a word that children shouldn't have to speak. Megan asked me, "when are you going to feel better, mommy?" She stressed the "when." It's a very long time for all of us especially a 4 year old. It's amazing the people who enter into your life right when you need them, a neighbor who is a speach pathologist just happened to visit and was able to give us some good advice and help us relax about Isaac's stuttering which began right when I was diagnosed. It's one more thing we can allow some time to see how/if it works itself out. None of this is easy for anyone. We are all in "survival" mode so anything that can be fixed with patience is most likely to be made worse until we can locate some patience. When we find it we will let you all know where! LOL
The Race for the Cure in Salt Lake is May 9, 2009 and is a 5K (from what I can find.) I will be walking it, Rick will be running with the kids in the jogging stroller. As soon as sign-ups are available I will get a team set up so everyone can register with the team. I am so excited for this one, I will be about 6 weeks from reconstructive surgery at that point and should be finished or almost finished with radiation. I will be so close to the end of the bad stuff. I hope everyone is healthy and doing self breast exams at the very least! (Aunt Kathy!) Take care and I write again after #5.
Much Love-Shauna

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna! I had a mammogram last week. Just thought I'd let you know. ;-) I also had a colonoscopy. Ok....too much information?? hehe We met our catastrophic maximum on our insurance last year with surgeries and a broken arm....I'm waiting for a good dull moment and I bet you are too. Keep kicking cancer's butt and I'll be in touch! I want to walk with you in May.

Love, Debbie B.

Jeff and Sarah said...

Haven't read your blog for a while. It's great that your treatments seem to be doing well. It was good to see you in the office when ever that was. You looked great. Thank goodness for the Relief Society. What an amazing group of angels.

I look forward to your next post.