Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I am stonger than nails... but not chemo!

I wrote the last update before my 5th treatment and boy what a difference a little chemo makes! This one started out bad when we got to the Dr. all my counts were down except 1. I was surprised by that but soon found out what it meant when I got the 5th treatment with low blood counts, "WOW!: that was awful. I have my 3rd kidney infection and my kidneys have decided on their own to refuse to continue metabolizing insulin for the rest of my body (basically). The nurse described it as insulin pouring out before it can be grabbed so my blood sugar was too low. I have been very miserable since my treatment but have done much better today, Jan 14th. I have been in contact with the Dr. and the sugar should level out by this weekend in time for something else I am sure. They speculated yesterday when they checked my counts that they would recover enough to have the last treatment ontime which is good because I want it over so badly! This is one awful roller-coaster ride and I would like to get off!
I am going to see a surgeon today and will get a surgery date which I keep referring to as a "goal" because my counts will have to be recovered for surgery so there is some chance it will be delayed.
Anyway, we took the kids to Build-A-Bear before my last treatment so they could make something to snuggle while I am in the hospital for surgery! It was fun and important for me that we do something like that to help them as much as we can. Rick is another story, he is officially a mess! I keep telling him not to worry and he looks at me like, "have you seen yourself lately?" LOL Yes, I have and it's a mess, so for now we have agreed to pretend to be normal however he did not yet agree to stop worrying! LOL
I don't think I have been saying this enough but I was reminded today that everyone's focus should be on doing their self exams and getting mammograms regularly if you are suspicious or of age! My RS Pres. and Stake RS Pres. came and visited today and a ward member went in after being reminded by my diagnosis and they found a lump in each breast. She has had her surgery and begins radiation shortly, she did not have to do chemo BECAUSE SHE FOUND THEM VERY EARLY!!! I am going to have a girl party as soon as I feel like I can and we are going to learn together how to properly do exams and learn that it need not be embarassing or shameful to do your own exam, it could save your life!! Please do it!
One more Chemo to go!! Thanks so much to our family, friends and ward for taking incredible care of us! I am so thankful! Love-Shauna

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Hey Sis-

Yes you are stronger than nails! We love you so much, and are amazed at you and your strength. Thank you so much for letting us help you with whatever we can, I am so thankful to finally be home and close so I can be here whenever you need me. I love you more than you know and I am ALWAYS! here.

Nate and Di said...

You are still a rockstar fighting this battle head on. I wish I could be there with you helping, I hope you can feel our love and prayers. Chase says he loves is Auntie Shauna, he misses you!

myrna said...

Hi Shauna,

We need to get together and talk. I am that neighbor who blessedly found that "early detection". I am with you in encouraging all Sisters, regardless of age, to be vigilant in self-exams and regular Mammograms! I used to love to "rag" on those procedures, and only got them because my husband's employer (State Department) demanded them. I am now a humble believer. I have followed your story with a tearful heart. You are a trooper and a survivor and such a great example. You make us all proud! I begin Radiation treatments this week, and am told I should tolerate them quite well. I am so very sad that you have had to go through Chemo. I can't even imagine how difficult this has been for you. It sounds like the Lord has carried you through some dark moments. You are so fortunate to have a loving and supportive family and friends. The ward family is all cheering you on, too! I have hesitated to come over, for fear I'd bring some unwanted germ into your home. This has been our year for lots of colds and flu, and I know you can't have anything like that right now. I can see your home from my kitchen window and I often wonder how you are doing. Janica and Karen keep my updated on you, but I also check your blog. I would love to communicate with you via email, or whatever you have time and strength for. As I said, you are my hero! Wow, this is LONG! Much love and may the Lord bless and comfort you in the months and trials to come
Myrna Boam - Call me if you want to chat, vent or have a good cry! 801-593-1801 or 725-8870, email: myrna@docsinbox.net